If you have any questions please call during our office hours.
A root canal is the space within the root of a tooth also known as the pulp chamber.
The root canal travels down the length of the tooth's root. People's teeth usually have one to four root canals, depending on the tooth (molars have more roots than cuspids and incisors) In some cases there are five or more roots. Extra canals may branch out from the main canal, called "accessory canals." The root canals contain connective tissue called dental pulp that provides nutrition to the tooth. They also have a nerve that makes the tooth sensitive to hot and cold.
There are a few possible causes of infection of the dental pulp or there may be other damage to the root that make root canal therapy necessary.
Tooth decay can penetrate the tooth's enamal and dentin and infect the pulp. A chipped or broken tooth can expose the tooth's nerve. A tooth can be dying from aging and damage that did not require treatment at the time of injury. Once the pulp is infected or dead, if left untreated, pus can build up at the root tip in the jawbone, forming an abscess. An abscess can destroy the bone surrounding the tooth and cause pain.
Root canal therapy, or treatment, is done under a local anesthetic. It consists of the complete removal of the dental pulp through an opening in the back of a front tooth or the crown of a molar using fine dental tools. The space is then cleaned, enlarged and shaped using a dental file in preperation for having it filled with a rubbery material (gutta percha) which is then sealed in place with cement. Depending on the situation, a metal or plastic rod may be inserted into the canal to give the tooth more structural support. A crown is usually placed over the tooth to restore its natural shape and appearance and to strengthen it to prevent it from breaking or suffering further damage. If the tooth is very broken down, a post may be required to build it up prior to placing a crown. This procedure is most often done over a few visits to the dentist. In these cases a temporary filling is inserted into the canal between visits.
The cleaning of the root is usually the longest part of the procedure. It is essential that all the dental pulp is cleaned out to prevent re-infection which would be painful and may lead to repeating the procedure or the extracting of the tooth.
Following the treatment, when the local anesthetic wears off, there maybe some pain or discomfort in which case a pain killer may be prescribed.
The treated and restored tooth can last a life time with proper care. Tooth decay can still occur after the treatment so good oral hygiene and check-ups are still necessary. Because the tooth is dead after the dental pulp is removed, the tooth will be more brittle and prone to fracture therefore it is necessary for a well constructed crown.
Dr. Elliot Eskenazi performs root canal treatments with great care and expertise and a minimum of discomfort.
If you need a root canal or are not sure if you do, call the office to schedule an appointment.
1.The best dentist anywhere. Dr. Eskenazi was able to fix my many dental problems without implants, periodontal work, etc. which I had previously been told were absolutely necessary. He saved me an incredible amount of money not to mention time, stress and pain. The staff is great and very friendly.
2. Dr. Eskanazi is an amazing dentist and has been our family dentist for over a decade. He has a truly wonderful manner and personality and really makes you feel comfortable. He always makes himself available to his patients and is reachable in emergencies.
People of all ages go to Dr. Eskanazi and he takes care of everyone. He is highly competent and highly professional. Recommended!!
3. Best doctor in the the town.
4. Doctor Elliot is my family dentist. ( Both my parents, before they moved to Florida, my wife, myself, and my two daughters.) He is also the dentist of my poker playing buddies, and half the dog run members. We like the quality of the work and the relaxing atmosphere. He runs a punctual practice so appointment schedules are followed and I never wait long.
5. I just came back from a teeth cleaning. I feel my teeth and gums tingling with cleanliness. They didn't find anything that needed care this time. That's good news.
I actually look forward to visiting my dentist.
6. I was referred to Dr, Eskenazi by my neighbor. My front teeth were chipped badly in an accident and were bonded repeatedly by 3 different dentists. They looked good for a short while but contiually chipped and looked horrible. Dr. Eskenazi explained why the teeth were chipping and how my bite needed to be changed. He was calm and very re-assuring and I felt totally comfortable with him and his staff!! He put porcelain crowns and porcelain veneers on my front teeth which were amazing looking. My teeth are now beautiful and I smile big all day!! Dr. Eskenazi is very compassionate and does beautiful cosmetic work and that's the reason I'm spending the time to write this review.
7. He is the best. I had a total fear of dentists my whole life. He helped me over that fear. He is gentle, kind, and an overall great dentist. His office staff also, is the best, friendly and helpful.
8. He is an outstanding dentist. I don't have the words to describe the quality of care I have received from him.
9. Our family dentist. Even after I moved out of Brooklyn, I come all the way back just to go to Dr. Eskenazi.
10. Very caring DDS and staff. Made me feel comfortable and confident. Totally painless root canal and my cap was perfect.
11. Dr. Ezkenazi is a perfectionist who does excellent work. He is very sympathetic and always concerned about the comfort of his patients.
12. Was extremely anxious before going to Dr. Eskenazi. Upon arrival, his staff were most accomodating at making me relaxed.
13. Entire experience outstanding..from front desk, hygienest,assistant and Dr. E !!!...his cosmetic work is beautiful !!!
14. Dr. Eskenazi and his crew make a patient feel like royalty. They are all wonderful. My mom went to Dr. E. when she was 92 years old.
15. Dr. Eskenazi takes great care into knowing his patients and takes pride in his work. He makes the dental experience a pleasant one.
16. Superb craftsmanship with all of his work..Explains all procedures in detail and shows loads of compassion and empathy...outstanding